Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Place for Women In A Man's World

                     Since the beginning of time there has always been man and woman. Written in the one of the oldest, most universal books all time, it says that woman is made from man's rib. Already, we're taught that man is first. That women come second. Men are the dominant sex and women are the other sex. History has shown us that across time, in most civilizations men have been the dominant sex among humans. It was man who wrote the many different bibles, our religions follow today. In fact, in the Bible, God, the creator of everything, is said to be a male. It's easy for a woman to feel like the other, when the religion they follow, tells them they are. So when societies began to form and structures were made, men were the dominant figures in those situations. The educated controlled the ignorant. For a long time, women weren't allowed to read. The educated race will dominant the uneducated race. Women have become an oppressed group. In Simone De Beauvoir's, The Second Sex, she talks about the slave and the master. It says, "Master and slave,also, are united by reciprocal need, in this case economic, which does not liberate the slave. In relation of master to the slave the master does not make a point of the need that he has for the other [...]; whereas the slave, in his dependent condition, his hope and fear, is quite conscious of the need he has for his master. [...] It always works in favor of the oppressor and against the oppressed. That has been why the liberation of the working class has been slow." In comparison to men being the oppressor, women the oppressed,  the female is like the slave. She is dependent on the male to survive. It's embedded in her mind that she can't live without a man, that she can't have thoughts of her own. She's unaware of the power she possesses. The master needs the slave to make his product and the slave needs the master for shelter, survival. Just like the master needs the slave, the man needs the woman. They need each other. In a biological sense, they need each so humanity can continue.  In modern times, oppression is in the form of a set of standards. Although they have changed throughout the centuries, women have always had a set of standards. From the time we're learning to walk and talk, we're taught to look, act, to be a certain way. Little boys are taught to be a certain way also, but something totally different than the girl. From the beginning we're not equal. A great example if this, my mother raised four boys and me, one girl. I was treated totally different than my brothers. When we were teenagers my brothers had a later curfew than I did. I wasn't allowed to go any on my own. When they'd get in trouble at school they'd get sort of a slap on the wrist. My mom kind of had the attitude that boys will be boys. If I did the same, I'd get the 'I'm disappointed in you' lecture. So growing with four brothers, I became a tomboy. So I was not ladylike at all. My mother would get upset if I ever did anything unladylike, like burp, sit with my legs uncross, or simply wear what I wanted (which wasn't dresses) I'd get an upset look from her. She'd always say and she still says it to this day that it's just different for girls and that as a girl/woman you put in work, double compared to a man, to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment